3D Design, 3D Max., 3D Models, 3DS Max, Assets, Games Design, Gaming, gaming world, Gravestone, Graveyard, Group Work, Hull, Level Design, Medieval, Modelling., Normal Maps, Photoshop, Rendering, Research, Texturing, Trinity Church, Trinity Project, Trinity Square, UDK, Video Games
Client Related Practice: Graveyard continued…
As mentioned in a previous post of mine in regards to the Trinity Project, I’ve been working on creating assets for a graveyard that the client pointed out. I already uploaded a gravestone I worked on last week, this week however I’ve modelled another gravestone and also tried to refine the previously uploaded gravestone. By refining the gravestone I mean applying normal maps to it to replicate a more realistic object with depth. I applied the same technique to the new gravestone too. For the text, I wasn’t initially sure as to what font I should use. However, after carrying out a bit of research across a few sites on Google, I found that a lot of the fonts which are mentioned are of Times New Roman, Gothic or Old English nature. Luckily enough, there is actually a font named Old English on Photoshop which I used on my model The gravestones still aren’t looking perfect, but here is the progress so far (bear in mind that the grass mesh is a default UDK Mesh and not something I’ve created…yet!)
The biggest problem I encountered when texturing the gravestones with normal maps to create a desired ’3D look’ was making the text on the graves actually look embodied into the stone. Playing around with CrazyBump software, modifying settings for the normal map and using photoshop, I managed to achieve a texture that will make do for now. A lot of it came down to trial and error to achieve the best results as well as the help of my tutor Paul.
From → Client Related Practice